For the perfect coffee moment nothing beats a rich slice of carrot cake. Now you can use NORSK’s very own recipe to make your own at home. Enjoy!
400g carrots, peeled
350g soft brown sugar
400g self-raising flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp mixed spice
zest of 2 orange
300ml sunflower oil
120g chopped walnuts, optional
For the icing
100g softened butter
150g icing sugar
360g soft cheese
1 tsp vanilla essence
chopped unsalted pistachios, optional
1. Line a large baking tin with baking parchment. Turn the oven on to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Grate the carrots on the fine side of the grater, then tip them into a large bowl.
2. Sift the sugar, flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon on top of the carrot, then add the orange zest and mix everything around until combined.
3. Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk, then add them to the bowl along with the oil. Mix everything together. If using walnuts add now and mix well.
4. Pour the cake mix into your tin and level the top. Put it in the oven for 35 minutes or until the cake is cooked. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
5. To make the icing, using an electric whisk to mix the butter and sifted icing sugar together, then add vanilla and the cream cheese until smooth.
6. When the cake is cool, spread the top with the icing and cut into squares. Decorate with pistachios, if you like.
Discover more delicious recipes, including NORSK's Butternut Squash Soup and Whiskey and Brown Sugar-Cured Gravlax, as well as plenty of other Scandinavian travel and home inspiration on the NORSK blog here. Keep up-to-date on all the latest from NORSK by subscribing to our newsletter here.