This hearty Curried Cauliflower Salad is packed with flavour and texture and is an enduring favourite here at NORSK. Created by our chef Megan Painter, here's how you can recreate it at home....
For the salad:
1 cauliflower (sliced into florets)
1 red onion (sliced into wedges)
3 watermelon radishes (or red round radishes into thin slices)
50g almonds (flaked or whole)
20g nigella seeds
10g ground cumin
300ml red wine vinegar
100g caster sugar
10ml olive oil
For the curry oil:
4 teaspoons of mild curry powder
400ml light rapeseed oil or olive oil
Prep beforehand: To make the curry oil, sprinkle the curry powder into a dry frying pan and toast over a medium heat for 1–2 minutes until it releases its aroma; don’t let it burn. Pour the oil into the pan and remove from the heat. Give it a good stir and then pour it into a jug. Leave to infuse for at least 24 hours.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4. Slice the cauliflower into florets. Place in a bowl and mix with turmeric, oil and cumin. Place onto a baking tray and roast for 25-30 minutes until slightly tender and with slight golden colour (you want the cauliflower to have a bit of a bite)
2. Soak the raisins in boiling hot water in an airtight container and leave to soften and sweeten.
3. Place the red wine vinegar and sugar into a bowl and whisk together. Place the wedges of onion in the vinegar and sugar mix and leave for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Pop the pomegranate seeds and slice the radishes thinly and set aside.
4. Cube the feta into thumb size pieces and set aside.
5. Toast the almonds in an oven for 4-5minutes or until golden.
6. Next to assemble! Place the cauliflower onto a plate, top with the cubes of feta, pomegranate and radishes.Next the red onion and scatter the rocket over. Finish off with nigella seeds, the toasted almonds. Drizzle of curry oil and optional micro leaves!